The parish church of San José, is located in the city of Antigua Guatemala, it is part of the Archdiocese of Guatemala and it is situated in a section of the old Primada de Santiago de los Caballeros cathedral, which was destroyed by Santa Marta´s earthquakes.
The first building of the cathedral begun in 1545 with the debris brought from the destroyed settlement in the Almolonga valley, which had been a second attempt to found a locality in the region.
Its complete construction was hampered by frequent earthquakes over the years. On April 7, 1669, the temple was demolished and a second sanctuary was inaugurated in 1680 under the direction of Juan Pascual and José de Porres. There was also a record of the reconstruction of the Spanish engineer and sculptor Martín de Andújar Cantos.
San José Cathedral
4ta Avenida entre 4ta y 5ta Calle Oriente, Antigua Guatemala